Skogsmaskiner - Flishugg - Maskinsäkerhet
This document specifies safety requirements and their verification for design and construction of transportable, i.e. self-propelled, mounted, semi-mounted and trailed, wood chippers used in forestry, agriculture, horticulture and landscaping.
This document applies to chippers, used when stationary, which are manually loaded with wood through a horizontal or near horizontal infeed chute and where the infeed action is performed by the chipping components acting as infeed components or by separate integrated infeed components such as rollers or chain conveyors integral to the infeed chute. The included wood chippers may be powered either by an external power take-off, hydraulics etc. or by an integral power source such as an internal combustion engine.
This document does not cover:
- requirements relating to national road regulations arising from transport between work sites;
- hazards arising from any self-propelled function;
- hazards arising from the transmission of power from an external power source – e.g. power take-off drive shafts;
- any machines where the infeed chute is fitted with an extension table or the integrated chain conveyor is protruding beyond the outermost lower edge of the infeed chute;
- hazards arising from the engine pull starting of an integral power source;
- hazards arising from mechanical loading;
- vertical infeed chute chippers;
- shredders/chippers to be covered by EN 13683;
- any machines where the infeed chute is fitted with a belt type conveyor;
- mechanical discharge systems.
This document deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to wood chippers, when they are used as intended and under the conditions foreseen by the manufacturer (see Annex A).