This European Standard specifies requirements and test methods for protective helmets used in paragliding, hang gliding and flying with ultra-light aeroplanes.
Helmets for airborne sports are indicated in this European Standard as follows:
- category HPG: Helmets for paragliding and hang gliding;
- category UL: Helmets for flying with ultra-light aeroplanes.
Requirements and the corresponding methods of test, where appropriate, are given for the following:
- construction including chin strap, fastening devices, field of vision, head mobility and eye protection;
- penetration resistance;
- shock-absorbing properties;
- retention system properties;
- marking and information for users.
NOTE The requirements cover both categories. Special requirements are contained in the relevant clauses.
This European Standard does not apply to other kinds of head protection used in airborne sports.