Garden equipment - Integrally powered shredders/chippers - Safety
This European Standard specifies safety requirements and their verification for the design and construction of hand fed, shredders/chippers with integral power source and with or without vacuum assisted collection which are designed primarily to reduce organic material to smaller pieces. It is only applicable to shredders/chippers that are designed for use outdoors in a stationary position by an operator standing on the ground. This standard applies to shredders/chippers with feed intake openings or segments, in this standard referred to as feed safety openings and being of any shape complying with the safety distance requirements of this standard with regard to contact with the cutting means, that in total will fit into a square of 250 mm × 250 mm measured at the plane of the opening(s).
This standard describes methods of elimination or reduction of hazards arising from the use of shredders/chippers. In addition it specifies the type of information to be provided by the manufacturer on safe working practices.
This standard does not cover requirements for:
- units driven by an external power source;
- mobile use of units which can be used in both stationary and mobile modes;
- units with powered discharge intended to broadcast material or load vehicles;
- units with separate mechanically powered feed intake or attachments;
- units with cutting means of either one or more non-metallic filaments, or one or more non-metallic cutting elements pivotally mounted on a generally circular central drive unit, where these cutting elements rely on centrifugal force to achieve cutting, and have a kinetic energy for each single cutting means of less than 10 J;
- electrical powered and battery-powered shredders/chippers.
Environmental hazards and EMC have not been considered in this standard.