Railway applications - Track - Safety protection on the track during work - Part 2-1: Common solutions and technologies - Technical requirements for Track Warning Systems (TWS)
This European Standard defines minimum functional and non-functional requirements for developing a Track Warning Systems (TWS) to warn persons during their work on or nearby the track about the approaching of trains or rail vehicles using acoustical and visual TWS-Signals. These systems may also be able to influence the approaching of trains and rail vehicles by stoppage function.
This European Standard is applicable:
- to systems, sub-systems and components within TWS, including those containing software; in particular;
- to new TWS;
- to new integrations of systems, sub-systems and components into existing TWS;
- to modifications of TWS developed according to this standard.
For single warning units (e.g. simple electrical horns) it is recommended to use this standard, too.
This document does not deal with:
- hazards during the installation of the TWS caused by trains or rail vehicles on the lines;
- hazards caused by the improper use of TWS;
- hazards caused by the improper behaviour of persons working on or nearby the track;
- CO2-tyfone, human operated pressure signal horns, flags, detonators or machine warning systems according to UIC 644;
- national safety regulations to plan and operate TWS in track.