Tunnelling machines - Road headers, continuous miners and impact rippers - Safety requirements
1.1 Description of the machine
This European Standard specifies all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to road headers, continuous miners and impact rippers, when they are used as intended and under the conditions foreseen by the manufacturer (see clause 4). This standard specifies the appropriate technical measures to eliminate or reduce risks arising from the significant hazards. This European Standard is applicable to road headers, continuous miners and impact rippers used in tunnelling and underground mining.
Certain associated matters are not included in the scope of this standard:
- the supply of electricity up to the machine;
- the provision of a cab or similar accommodation for an operator;
- ancillary tools and equipment used for, at or on the machine;
- equipment for use in potentially explosive atmospheres;
- any method for monitoring gases in the atmosphere of the tunnel or other workplace; ? the method of calculation of the design of any part described or the verification of this;
- loading and transport equipment which is not an integral part of the machine;
- electromagnetic compatibility;
- pressure vessels.
NOTE 1 Directive 94/9/EC concerning equipment and protective systems intended for use in potentially explosive atmos-pheres can be applicable to the type of machine or equipment covered by this European Standard. The present standard is not intended to provide means of complying with the essential health and safety requirements of Directive 94/9/EC.
NOTE 2 prEN 1710 “Equipment and components intended for use in potentially explosive atmospheres in mines” is currently under preparation in CEN/TC 305.