Eurocode 6: Design of masonry structures - Part 3: Simplified calculation methods for unreinforced masonry structures
(1)P The scope of Eurocode 6 for Masonry Structures as given in 1.1.1 of EN 1996-1-1:2005 applies also to this EN 1996-3.
NOTE: Eurocode 6 deals only with the requirements for resistance, serviceability and durability of structures. Other requirements are not considered. Eurocode 6 does not cover the special requirements of seismic design.
(2)P EN 1996-3 provides simplified calculation methods to facilitate the design of the following unreinforced masonry walls, subject to certain conditions of application:
- walls subjected to vertical loading and wind loading;
- walls subjected to concentrated loads;
- shear walls;
- basement walls subjected to lateral earth pressure and vertical loads;
- walls subjected to lateral loads but not subjected to vertical loads.
(3)P The rules given in EN 1996-3 are consistent with those given in EN 1996-1-1, but are more conservative in respect of the conditions and limitations of their use.
(4) For those types of masonry structure or parts of structures not covered by (1), the design shall be based on EN 1996-1-1.
(5) This EN 1996-3 applies only to those masonry structures, or parts thereof, that are described in EN 1996-1-1 and EN 1996-2.
(6) The simplified calculation methods given in this EN 1996-3 do not cover the design for accidental situations.