Railway applications - In-service wheelset operation requirements - In-service and off-vehicle wheelset maintenance
To ensure safety and interoperability, this Standard gives:
- the limits for in-service and off-vehicle wheelsets;
- the operations to be carried out for which the specific values (and/or criteria) remain to be defined in the maintenance plan.
This European Standard applies to wheelsets and axle boxes complying with the following European Standards:
- EN 13103, EN 13104;
- EN 13260, EN 13261, EN 13262;
- EN 13979-1;
- EN 13715;
- EN 13749. that comprise:
- the axle mounted with wheel diameters greater than or equal to 330 mm;
- axle boxes with bearings and grease. This European Standard is also applicable to wheelsets:
- fitted with brake discs, final drive, transmission or noise-damping systems, as appropriate;
- not complying with the above European Standards, but complying with the international requirements in force, for example in UIC leaflets, before the approval of these standards;
- with tyred wheels;
- with resilient wheels. For equipment not covered by Directive 2008/57/EC, this European Standard may be applied, noting that different values may be used.
All dimensions in this Standard are in millimetres (mm).
It is necessary to describe in a specific document the tasks to be performed in order to maintain wheelsets within the limits defined therein.
NOTE The specific values and criteria are defined in an appropriate maintenance plan.