This Technical Specification defines the procedures to fulfil the quality requirements and describes measures to ensure adequate confidence that the biofuel specification is fulfilled. This Technical Specification covers the
whole chain, from supply of raw materials to point of delivery to the end-user.
According to the mandate given for the standardisation work, the scope of the Technical Committee (TC 335) only includes solid biofuels originating from the following sources:
- products from agriculture and forestry;
- vegetable waste from agriculture and forestry;
- vegetable waste from the food processing industry;
- wood waste, with the exception of wood waste which may contain halogenated organic compounds or heavy metal as a result of treatment with wood preservatives or coating, and which includes in particular such wood waste originated from construction and demolition waste;
- fibrous vegetable waste from virgin pulp production and from the production of paper from pulp, if it is coincinerated at the place of production and heat generated is recovered;
- cork waste.
NOTE 1: The quality assurance systems applied to the operation of conversion plants fuelled by solid biofuels are outside the scope of this Technical Specification.
NOTE 2: Health, safety and environmental issues for solid biofuels are important and need special attention, however are outside the scope of this Technical Specification.
NOTE 3: For the avoidance of doubt, demolition wood is not included in the scope of this Technical Specification.
Demolition wood is defined as “used wood arising from demolition of buildings or civil engineering installations” (CEN/TS 14588).