1.1 This document specifies requirements for design, performance, safety and hygiene of refrigerated bulk milk coolers and the related methods of test.
NOTE The informative Annex K gives some elements regarding the estimation and calculation of energy consumption.
This document deals with all significant hazards, hazardous situations and events relevant to bulk milk coolers on farm, when they are installed, used and maintained as intended by the manufacturer (see informative Annex A).
It applies to refrigerated bulk milk tanks with air-cooled condensing units and automatic control intended for installation on farms or at milk collection points. It applies to tanks for two milkings (24 h), four milkings (48 h) and six milkings (72 h), in which the cooling takes place totally (non-pre-cooled milk) or partially (in case of pre-cooled milk) within the tank. It also applies to tanks in combination with a continuous system of milking (e.g. milking with robot).
1.2 This document does not cover:
- mobile tanks;
- tanks intended to be tilted for drainage;
- equipment for delivering the milk to the tank;
- equipment for pre-cooling of the milk;
- the hazards due to the use of other energy than electrical energy;
- pressure aspect of vacuum tanks (tank of which the inner vessel is designed to operate at a pressure below atmospheric pressure);
- calibration requirements for the measurement of the milk volume.
1.3 This document is not applicable to bulk milk coolers on farms which are manufactured before the date of its publication as EN.