Fixed firefighting systems - Oxygen reduction systems - Design, installation, planning and maintenance
This European standard specifies oxygen reduction systems that are used as fire prevention systems by creating an atmosphere in an area which is having a lower permanent oxygen concentration as in ambient conditions. The level of oxygen reduction is defined by the individual risks of these areas (see Annex A). Oxygen reduction is achieved by technical systems which are providing a flux of air containing a reduced concentration of oxygen.
This European standard specifies minimum requirements and defines the specifications governing the design, installation and maintenance of fixed oxygen reduction systems with oxygen reduced air in buildings and industrial production plants. The standard also applies to the extension and modification of existing systems.
This European standard applies to oxygen reduction systems using nitrogen which are designed for continual oxygen reduction in enclosed spaces.
NOTE Nitrogen is today the most suitable gas to be used for oxygen reduction. For other gases this European standard can be used as basis.
This European standard does not apply to oxygen reduction systems that use water mist or combustion gases.
The European standard does not apply to:
- explosion suppression systems;
- explosion prevention systems;
- fire extinguishing systems using gaseous extinguishing agents;
- inertization of portable containers;
- systems in which oxygen levels are reduced for reasons other than fire prevention (e.g. steel processing in the presence of inert gas to avoid the formation of oxide film);
- inerting required during repair work on systems or equipment (e.g. welding) in order to eliminate the risk of fire or explosion.
In addition to the conditions for the actual oxygen reduction system and its individual components this European standard also covers certain structural specifications for the protected area.
The space protected by an oxygen reduction system is a controlled and continuously monitored indoor climate for extended occupat ...