Metallic industrial piping - Part 1: General
This European Standard specifies the requirements for industrial piping systems and supports, including safety systems, made of metallic materials with a view to ensure safe operation.
This European Standard is applicable to metallic piping above ground, ducted or buried, irrespective of pressure.
This European Standard is not applicable to:
- Pipelines and their accessories;
- Stream waterways such as penstocks, pressure tunnels, pressure shaft for hydro-electric-installations and their related specific accessories;
- Piping for vehicles covered by the EEC type approval procedures as laid down in Directives 70/156/EEC , 74/150/EEC  and 92/61/EEC ;
- Items specifically designed for nuclear use, failure of which may cause an emission of radioactivity;
- Well-control equipment used in the petroleum, gas or geothermal exploration and extraction industry and in underground storage which is intended to contain and/or control well pressure, including the piping;
- Piping of blast furnaces including the furnace cooling, hot blast recuperators, dust extractors and blast furnace exhaust gas scrubbers and direct reducing cupolas including the furnace cooling, gas converters and vacuum furnaces and pans for melting, re-melting de-gassing and casting of steel and non ferrous metals;
- Enclosures for high voltage electrical equipment such as switchgear, control gear and transformers;
- Pressurized pipes for the containment of transmission systems such as for electrical power and telephone cables;
- Permanently fixed piping for ships, rockets, aircraft and mobile offshore units;
- Internal piping in medical devices as defined in the Directive 93/142/EEC  concerning medical devices;
- Internal piping of boilers and piping integral to pressure vessels.