Sustainability of construction works - Environmental product declarations - Product Category Rules for concrete and concrete elements
This European Standard complements the core rules for the product category of construction products as defined in EN 15804:2012+A1:2013 and is intended to be used in conjunction with that standard.
This European Standard applies to concrete and concrete elements for building and civil engineering, excluded autoclaved aerated concrete.
This document defines the parameters to be reported, what EPD types (and life cycle stages) to be covered, what rules to be followed in order to generate Life Cycle Inventories (LCI) and conduct Life Cycle Impact Assessment (LCIA) and the data quality to be used in the development of EPDs.
In addition to the common parts of EN 15804:2012+A1:2013, this European Standard for concrete and concrete elements:
- defines the system boundaries;
- defines the modelling and assessment of material-specific characteristics;
- defines allocation procedures for multi-output processes along the production chain;
- defines allocation procedures for reuse and recycling;
- includes the rules for calculating the LCI and the LCIA underlying the EPD;
- provides guidance/specific rules for the determination of the reference service life (RSL);
- gives guidance on the establishment of default scenarios;
- gives guidance on default functional units for concrete elements.
This document is intended to be used either for cradle to gate, cradle to gate with options or cradle to grave assessment, provided the intentions are properly stated in the system boundary description.
Within the construction works context, a cradle to grave declaration delivers a more comprehensive understanding of the environmental impact associated with concrete and concrete elements.