Space product assurance - Welding of metallic materials for flight hardware
This Standard specifies the processing and quality assurance requirements for the different types of metallic welding (manual, automatic, semi-automatic and machine) for space flight applications. This standard can also be used for weld activities on space related ground equipment and development models for flight hardware. The Standard covers all welding processes used for joining metallic materials for space applications. This includes, but is not limited to:
- Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) / Tungsten Inert Gas (TIG), (process 14)
- Gas Metal Arc Welding (GMAW) / Metal Inert Gas (MIG) (process 13)
- Plasma Arc Welding (PAW) / Plasma of Transferred Arc (PTA), (process 15)
- Electron beam welding (EBW), (process 51)
- Laser beam welding (LBW), (process 52)
- Friction Stir welding (process 43)
- Magnetic Pulse welding (process 442)
- Linear friction welding (process 42)
- Rotary friction welding (process 42)
The specific process numbers mentioned above are listed according to the standard ISO 4063:2009.
This Standard does not detail the weld definition phase and welding pre-verification phase, including the derivation of design allowables.
This standard may be tailored for the specific characteristic and constraints of a space project in conformance with ECSS-S-ST-00.