This document specifies requirements for design and selection of non-electrotechnical equipment for all types of crane with the objectives of protecting personnel from hazards affecting their lives and health and of ensuring reliability of function. The fixed load lifting attachments are integral part of the crane and therefore belong also to the scope of this standard.
Non-electrotechnical equipment comprises:
- Structure and structural equipment;
- driving mechanisms;
- rope and chain drives;
- fixed load lifting attachments;
- safety devices;
- fluid power systems.
The significant hazards covered by this document are identified in clause 4.
Hazards due to noise are not covered by this standard. They are addressed in safety standards specific to each type of crane.
The principles to be applied for cranes transporting hazardous loads are given in this standard. Particular requirements are given for cranes transporting hot molten metal.
This standard does not give the additional requirements for:
- equipment requiring a high level of cleanliness for hygiene reasons, e.g. in direct contact with foodstuffs or pharmaceuticals;
- equipment operating in clean rooms with a dust controlled environment, (e.g. satellite assembling room, electronic industry, food processing, pharmaceuticals processing);
- hazards resulting from handling explosives and radiating material;
- hazards caused by operation subject to special regulations (e.g. explosive atmospheres);
- the risk related to lifting of persons.
This document is applicable to non-electrotechnical equipment which is manufactured after the date of approval by CEN of this standard.