1.1 This standard specifies electrical and related mechanical safety requirements for design and construction of the electrical installation in battery powered industrial trucks hereinafter referred to as trucks, with nominal voltages of the truck system up to 240 V. The Annex A is normative and gives requirements for ”Connectors for traction batteries”. Annex B is normative and contains ”Electric motors - Output and test rules” and Annex C is normative and contains ”Electromagnetic contactors”.
NOTE 1 Reference is made to this standard in other standards which cover the non-electrical requirements of the various industrial truck types.
NOTE 2 This standard does not address the subject of charging of traction batteries (CENELEC TC 21X is preparing safety standards for battery charging).
NOTE 3 The special requirements for operation in potentially explosive atmospheres are not covered in this European Standard.
1.2 The requirements of this standard are applicable, when trucks are operated under the following climatic conditions:
- Average ambient temperature for continuous duty: +25°C;
- Maximum ambient temperature, short term (up to 1 h): +40°C;
- Lowest ambient temperature for trucks intended for use in normal indoor conditions: +5 °C;
- Lowest ambient temperature for trucks intended for use in normal outdoor conditions: -20 °C;
- Altitude: up to 2000 m;
- Relative humidity: in the range 30 % to 95 % (non condensing).
1.3 This standard covers specific hazards (listed in clause 4), which could occur during the intended use of trucks. For hazards occurring during construction, transportation, commissioning, decommissioning and disposal, reference should be made to EN ISO 12100-2:2003.