This document specifies requirements to be met by the manufacturer for the foreseeable significant hazards due to design, construction and installation, during commissioning, operation, maintenance, and decommissioning of the following machines and equipment which are used directly and indirectly for the manufacture of castings:
- Pouring equipment;
- Centrifugal casting machines for production of tubes (only machines with horizontal or oblique axis of rotation);
- Continuous and semi continuous casting machines for non-ferrous metals.
This document specifies the safety requirements in addressing the following items:
- protection against:
- mechanical hazards, movement of machines and material, ejection of parts, material, liquids and gases, implosion, structural instability;
- electric hazards;
- explosion, fire, scalds, contact with hot parts (burns), gases and flames;
- noise and vibration;
- thermal radiation;
- harmful by-products, poisoning, pollution of operators air;
- deterioration of worker’s health;
- maintenance, provision for warning systems.
It is assumed that
- normal operation of equipment falling within this scope may involve the intervention of personnel;
- machines are operated by skilled and adequately trained persons;
- machines are used with adequate workplace lighting conforming to local regulations, or to EN 12464-1.