(1) Part 4.1 of Eurocode 3 provides principles and application rules for the structural design of steel silos of circular or rectangular plan-form, being free standing or supported.
(2) The provisions given in this Part supplement modify or supersede the equivalent provisions given in EN 1993-1.
(3) This part is concerned only with the requirements for resistance and stability of steel silos. For other reqiurements (such as operational safety, functional performance, fabrication and erection, quality control, details like man-holes, flanges, filling devices, outlet gates and feeders etc.), see the relevant standard.
(4) Provisions relating to special requirements of seismic design are provided in EN 1998-4, which complements or adapts the provisions of Eurocode 3 specifically for this purpose.
(5) The design of supporting structures for the silo are dealt with in EN 1993-1-1. The supporting structure is deemed to consist of all structural elements beneath the bottom flange of the lowest ring of the silo, see figure 1.1.